Monday, April 14, 2014

Final Project - Netiquette

My final project is based on Grice's Maxims and how they are applied to Netiquette (internet etiquette). These two themes go hand in hand because in order to successfully use and behave on the internet, you should always try to adhere to Grice's Maxims. To summarize Grice's Maxims*, they are to:

  1. Always make sure that what you are saying is relevant to the conversation/topic.
  2. Always be truthful and have information to support yourself.
  3. Do not be ambiguous; always give enough information. 
Because we use the internet as a means to communicate with immediate friends as well as acquaintances (via emails, texts/chats, social media, etc), it is necessary to adhere to these Maxims as much as we would in face-to-face conversations. There are usually three ways someone can use a Maxim: they can either fully adhere to them, they can be violated (it isn't obvious that the speaker has either lied, not given enough information, or gone off-topic), or they can flout a Maxim (it's obvious to both people that one of the speakers has not adhered to a Maxim).

In order to adhere to Netiquette, you must be understood (which is where Grice's Maxims kick in), and you also have to adhere to the social expectations that are required when you speak to certain people (friends, family, teachers, complete strangers, etc.).


I decided that the best way to explain my topic would be by creating a webpage, since I would need to talk a lot (and I don't wish to bore my peers to death). I'll probably use either WordPress or Tumblr to create my site, especially because I feel a bit more comfortable using those blog platforms. As far as my data collection goes, I will be collecting samples of emails, texts (iMessage), and FB chats from my personal accounts and select the best examples that either adhere, violate, or flout the Maxims. These examples will not have any sensitive information, nor will they be graphic in any nature.

So far, I haven't had any big problems when it comes to collecting data examples. Probably my biggest issue would be perhaps giving too much information that would confuse the audience. I have to go over all of my information and decide what is best to use, as well as have enough examples for the audience to understand and follow.

*Peccei, Jean Stilwell. Pragmatics. New York: Routledge, 1999. NOOK file. 

No comments:

Post a Comment