Monday, April 28, 2014

Codeswitching in SMS


Code switching is when a speakers alternates between two or more languages in the context of a single conversation. My proposal is to investigate the influence of emotional context and topic on code switching in CMC. I will base my analysis on exchanges between bilingual speakers that include myself and my mother. My method for collecting data will be quantifying and qualifying my SMS conversations with my mother. I will download these messages by emailing them from my phone back to my computer.

This experiment will continue for a two-week period where I expect to collect at least 100 text messages. In the event, there are not enough text messages or if the content is not relevant enough I shall collect some older text messages to enlarge my sample. I will base my analysis on the topic and emotional context behind the conversations. For the topic, I will concentrate my observation on familial vs. professional. The emotional context will be based on my own point of view. My mother’s emotional context is usually translated using emojis will help qualify the emotion behind the conversation. I will evaluate the frequency of intersentential and intrasentential code switching to try identifying any pattern within the context.

I intend to publish my findings exhaustively on a website. The website format will be decided depending on the size and quality of the material I deem necessary to present my results. A PowerPoint support will be used to present my results to the class.

It was having some trouble narrowing down my topic. I knew I wanted to do code-switching in SMS but didn't know what,who,how? I felt like I needed a little more clarification so I sent another proposal but it still needed work, I even asked some of my fellow classmates for their opinion. Since I know I had access to my text messages with my mother  I started downloading them (last Wednesday)  and putting them into different categories. I still more text messages and hope to get them this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment