Saturday, February 8, 2014

"Whatever" & "Because Internet"

Baron's "Always on: Language in an Online and Mobile world chapter 8 "Whatever", reminds me that in this day and age using anytime type of digital platform we tend to forget or don't care so much about the rules of language.  As a millennial, I believe this might be true. We have a new approach to writing and speech than the people from "back in the day".

Baron describes this as "linguistic whateverism".  When I am receiving text messages, I am getting messages from the people I usually speak to in person. One might type the way they speak. I actually read in the message in their voice, if that makes any sense?  However, that being said, it seems like most people have rules to how they might send a text message or even an email. I think it's safe to say, that people will type an email depending on the receiver.  If any one knows teacher fellow C.N Madsen, he emphasizes on how we should type of emails to him or any professor/boss.However, I could be naive about this but shouldn't everyone know there are different writing styles for different settings?

Going into emails and writing them when and how, brings me to mention spellcheck. I want to believe I am a great speller but sometimes I can be sloppy and rely on spellcheck. Yes, when writing a final paper that actually might be published or reviewed by your professor, you'd like to make sure that everything is spell checked and grammatically correct. Then, there are times when your typing a text to your friend. How many of you just type whatever and ignore that squiggly red line under the word? Along with the grammatical sense of typing, we also have what's appropriate with writing emails.

I assume if some of us were in a relationship , all of us would not like to be dumped via email nor text. However, who makes it ok not to? I would think because we usually have a face-to-face relationship with that person it would be appropriate to at least have the audacity to tell them to their face! Maybe we need some rules about etiquette for when you should be able to write a condolences letter because your grandma passed away. Who knows if we have rules about it, would any of you follow them?


Now, discussing the article Because Internet seemed to be new to me. To my acknowledge, this is the first time I've ever seen this new preposition. Especially taking syntax this semester, this is last thing I need to learn about. Have we became that "lazy" to just simply write the actually whole reason? Because #internetmademewritelikethis.


For my last thoughts, the impact of internet language can be influential. I know that I'm one of those people who say "BRB" when I have to make a quick exit.  I've also had friends will say "LOL" when they're actually not laughing! Are all these abbreviations really necessary when speaking in person?




5 comments:

  1. When it comes to the way you email certain people, I totally agree with what you say. Personally, I'm not going to email my boss the same way I would to my best friend - that would be labour suicide (I think!). In this new world of texting, I'm not going to worry about my grammar or my spelling. As long as my message is clear, there's no problem. As an FYI, I tend to omit my vowels when texting, but my friends have been able to understand what I want to tell them and no one has ever questioned me. So I think I'm okay. However, I am forever grateful for spellcheck, I do need that assurance that what I'm writing for work or school assignments has correct grammar and spelling. I'm not going to submit a homework assignment in text language, especially if the professor is nit-picky about it. Speaking of the "Because Internet" article, I actually hadn't heard of this form of preposition. However, once I read the article and the examples that were given to explain this phenomena, I could totally understand it's usage. Again, this all goes back to communication - if the message is clear, does it really matter how that message was written out? Now, for my favorite part of your post, the LOL/BRB monikers, I actually have a funny story about that. My friend actually said BRB when she was stepping out quickly, and I stared at her. Once she realized what she had said, we both started laughing. BRB/LOL are so common in chat conversations that when it comes to actual in-person conversations, it seems a bit weird to use. Even though I knew what she meant, it was just a little surreal to hear it being said out loud. I think a lot of people have done this at least once when out with friends - right? I know I have, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. in reality, I think it's cool - it shows how much technology has influenced our language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure people are familiar with the idea now a days that says technology has made us lazy. To some point it is true, I believe that spell check is great ( I use it all the time). However, I feel like I used to be a much better speller before being introduced to spell check. Like is elementary school where everything was hand written. At times, I get confused were certain letters go in words. For example, is it "ie" or "ei" for words like believe etc. I used to know these things before! Now, what drives me crazy are those "auto corrects" on mobile devices, and if you do not double check your text messages you just might be getting into some trouble. I know you've heard stories or have some of your own! C'mon those things are frustrating. As for abbreviations, I do not see how that is ruining language, there has always been abbrviationg for things in the English langauge and acronyms and so forth and so on. The more frequrently used, the more people will become familiar with them. I have to admit, I'm still not familiar with many abrreviations used in texts. For example, I know one of the reading mentioned what BRB meant but right now I can't seem to remember what is means. LOL is much more common and so Iknow what it means, anything pretty beyond LOL has me baffled. I think having basic knowledge of English language helps us understand shortcuts such as- thnx, plz, luv, etc

    As for the Because Internet preposition, I have never heard of it neither or is it niether? Anyways, you get what I mean...I might have stumbled upon it and thought maybe they were missing a word but one can still understand the message. I personally think its plain laziness, and it can be frustrating when someone tries to send you a very long text and you can't understand what they are trying to say because all their writing is shorthand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading chapter 8 of Baron my mind was wandering to the initial purpose of language. Ultimately, in my own opinion, we use language to get particular points across to an audience, whatever that audience may be even if it is to ourselves. I liked when Baron said that our society has become increasingly informal (pg.164) and points out that when “high school or college dropouts become multimillionaire…rock stars [etc.]…the public’s belief that education is linked to financial success weakens.” (pg. 165) That got me thinking about the absolute and ultimate point of language use. If language changes and is forced to change then inevitably our thought processes are forced to change as well.
    I do like the social distance that formal language allows you to have. For instance, in High School, my economics’ teacher always called us Miss (last name), I was called Miss Begazo every day in his class. His reasoning behind this was because we called him Mr. Zangrilli out of respect he believed that he should show us that same respect. Nonetheless, I think “manners” or formalness all depends on where you come from, for example when I went to school in North Carolina we were taught at a young age to always reply after being spoken to, “Yes Ma’am,” or “Yes Sir.”
    I also wonder if it is a disadvantage that we are letting out language become so informal because most of the world, when taught English, are taught in British English, which is almost as formal as the other European languages. If we let our language become too informal and then try to work in a country with a more formal-based language, are we less likely to be considered for the job because of our informality? But then again, are Americans so ego-centric to believe that the internet will ruin our language and will therefore lead to the end of all sophistication in the world? I think that the world will adapt to the change in language which means we will thereby able to change our thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You defiantly have a good point. For example I went to private school most of my life and I was thought mannerism. I defiantly feel those mannerisms followed me to this day in what ever I do, even when writing a letter. Once I know I am writing a teacher or my boss I know to address them in a certain manner because I want to give them that respect.In this day and age I wonder if people really respect their teacher or boss. The reason I ask this is if someone had respect for a teacher grading their paper they would never allow certain things to fly. For example I was reading Crystal's book he stated that there was a case in 2003 where a student wrote a paper in a abbreviations. Like why would she think thats okay?

      Delete
  4. Technology is definitely a gift and a curse and has definitely enforced abbreviations. I do feel for the younger generation coming out they might feel a little too comfortable and not know when and how to use her in abbreviations. For example I see this every day even in my own text messaging conversations; were people are texting me LOL DWL for simple things that's really not that funny. Sometimes I wonder do people really not know how to use abbreviations or are they trying to use abbreviations as filler words, or trying to change the mood at the time. I guess writing lol in text would be that moment when face to face that awkward moment where you probably would laugh. I defiantly do feel we need a hand book on what's sets the mood throughout texting.

    There are so many times people think I am yelling or I come off harsh in a texting conversation, when I'm really using text for what it was invented for "getting straight to the point." For example someone may ask me how was your day? I'll simply reply good things went well. Now some might take that as a signal that I don't want to talk. No. I want to talk I just don't want to type but I choose to be polite and carry one with this text conversion.

    That's another thing I feel influence abbreviations, are having long conversations through text. I personally know people that hate to talk on the phone but love a text conversation, which makes me wonder about the person. For one you may be extremely shy, two it may be a privacy thing; you may have someone around that you don't want to hear your conversation. All these things I don't understand but there needs to be a balance in people means of communication.

    ReplyDelete